Iran outlines new Strait of Hormuz management zone, says transit requires authorisation
Iran's Supreme Leader has issued a directive that the country's near-weapons-grade uranium should not be sent abroad. two senior Iranian sources said, hardening Tehran's stance on one of the main US demands atpeace talks.
Ayatollah Mojtaba Khamenei's order could further frustrate US PresidentDonald Trumpand complicate talks on ending theUS-Israeli war on Iran.
Israeli officials have toldReutersthat Trump has assured Israel that Iran's stockpile of highly enriched uranium, needed to make an atomic weapon, will be sent out of Iran. that any peace deal must include a clause on this.
Israel, the United States. other Western states have long accused Iran of seeking nuclear weapons, including pointing to its move to enrich uranium to 60%, far higher than needed for civilian uses and closer to the 90% needed for a weapon. Iran denies seeking nuclear weapons.
Israeli Prime MinisterBenjamin Netanyahuhas said he will not consider the war over until enriched uranium is removed from Iran, Tehran ends its support for proxy militias,. its ballistic missile capabilities are eliminated.
"The Supreme Leader’s directive,. the consensus within the establishment, is that the stockpile of enriched uranium should not leave the country,” said one of the two Iranian sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter.
Iran's top officials, the sources said, believe that sending the material abroad would leave the country more vulnerable to future attacks by the United States. Israel. Khamenei has the last say on the most important state matters.
تعودنا على التنمر الإيراني عبر عقود طويلة حتى أصبح جزءًا من المشهد السياسي في الخليج العربي، وضاعت المصداقية بين خطاب عدواني وبيانات صداقة جوفاء.واليوم، وبعد العدوان الإيراني الغاشم، يحاول النظام تكريس واقع جديد وُلد من هزيمة عسكرية واضحة، لكن محاولات التحكم بمضيق هرمز أو…
Meanwhile, UAE's Diplomatic Adviser to the President Anwar Gargash said that attempts to control the Strait of Hormuz or to "encroach on the UAE's maritime sovereignty" are nothing. "fragments of dreams."
In a post on X, Gargash stated that the UAE had "grown accustomed" to "Iranian bullying" over the decades, adding that credibility had been "lost between aggressive rhetoric. hollow declarations of friendship."
"Whoever wants to coexist with its Arab surroundings must realize that trust is lost,. restoring it is achieved through..responsible language, safeguarding sovereignty, genuine commitment to the principles of good neighbourliness."
1/جمهورى اسلامى ايران محدودهٔ نظارتى مديریت تنگه هرمز را به این شرح تعيین کرده است: «خط اتصال كوه مبارك درايران وجنوب فجيره درامارات در شرق تنگه تاخط اتصال انتهاى جزيره قشم درايران و ام القيوین امارات درغرب تنگه.»pic.twitter.com/3ELSwYx5Bp
Earlier on Thursday. Iran formally defined the section of the Strait of Hormuz that it says will fall under its new management framework for the strategic waterway.
According to the Persian Gulf Strait Authority (PGSA). the designated zone stretches from “the line connecting Kuh-e-Mubarak in Iran to the south of Fujairah in the UAE at the eastern entrance of the Strait, to the line connecting the tip of Qeshm Island in Iran to Umm Al-Quwain in the UAE at the western entrance”.
The authority added in a statement posted on X that any transit through the area for the purpose of passing through the Strait of Hormuz would require “coordination with,. authorisation from, the Persian Gulf Strait Authority.”
Diplomacy alone with respect to Iran’s interests crucial for resolving crisis: Russia
The Iran crisis can only be resolved through diplomacy which takes Iran’s interests into account. Russia’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson said on Thursday, according toAl Jazeera.
🔴#LIVE: Briefing by Russian Foreign Ministry Spokeswoman Maria Zakharova on topical foreign policy issueshttps://t.co/g0poSOsDNv
Maria Zakharova said Russia is determined to provide assistance to Iran. the US in implementing any decisions that may be reached through negotiations, adding that Iran alone must decide the fate of its uranium stockpiles.
Pakistan steps up diplomatic bid to get US-Iran peace talks on track
Pakistan stepped up diplomatic efforts on Thursday to hasten US. Iran peace talks, as Tehran said it was reviewing Washington's latest responses, and US President Donald Trump suggested he could wait a few days for "the right answers" from Tehran but was also willing to resume attacks on the country.
Six weeks after a fragile ceasefire took effect, talks to end the war have made little progress, while soaring oil prices have raised concern over inflation. the impact on the global economy.
Trump also faces domestic pressure ahead of November's midterm elections. with his approval rating dropping to its lowest level since he returned to the White House amid the surge in fuel prices.
"We're speaking to all the various groups in Iran to streamline communication. so things pick up pace," said one of the sources.
"Trump's patience running thin is a concern,. we're working on the pace at which messages are relayed from each side."
"Believe me, if we don't get the right answers, it goes very quickly. We're all ready to go," Trump told reporters at Joint Base Andrews. Asked how long he would wait, Trump said, "It could be a few days, but it could go very quickly."
Trump reiterated his threat not to allow Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
"We're in the final stages of Iran. We'll see what happens. Either have a deal or we're going to do some things that are a little bit nasty,. hopefully that won't happen," Trump told reporters earlier in the day.
Iran's Revolutionary Guards have warned against renewed attacks. "If aggression against Iran is repeated. the promised regional war will extend beyond the region this time," it said in a statement.
Iran submitted its latest offer to the US this week.
Tehran's descriptions suggest it largely repeats terms Trump previously rejected, including demands for control of the Strait of Hormuz, compensation for war damage, lifting of sanctions, release of frozen assets. the withdrawal of US troops.
Interior Minister Naqvi meets Iranian FM Araghchi
Iranian news agencyISNAreported that Naqvi met and held discussions with Abbas Araghchi during his visit to Tehran.
سیدمحسن نقوی، وزیر کشور پاکستان با سیدعباس عراقچی دیدار و گفتوگو کردpic.twitter.com/wKkQ9HQVV2
Iranian ambassador announces return of 20 Iranian sailors with Pakistan's diplomatic efforts
According toISNA, Reza Amiri Moghadam, the ambassador of the Islamic Republic of Iran to Pakistan, wrote on X on Thursday, "I sincerely appreciate the humanitarian. benevolent action of the honorable government of Pakistan to pursue the release of 20 Iranian sailors who were in a precarious situation due to the seizure of their ship in Singapore waters."
I sincerely appreciate the humanitarian. benevolent action of the esteemed Government of Pakistan to pursue the release of 20 Iranian sailors who were in a precarious situation due to the seizure of their ship in Singapore waters.In this regard, I would like to thank the…
The ambassador went on to express his gratitude for the tireless efforts of Prime Minister Mohammad Shehbaz Sharif. the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Pakistan, Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar, and other relevant institutions.
"These sailors were transferred from Singapore to Islamabad after diplomatic efforts. returned to their beloved homeland a few hours ago," he wrote on X.
Iran rebuilding military industrial base faster than expected, CNN reports
Iran has already restarted some of its drone production during the six-week ceasefire that began in early April,CNNreportedon Thursday. citing two sources familiar with US intelligence assessments.
US intelligence indicates Iran’s military is rebuilding much faster than initially estimated, the report added, citing four sources.
Reuterscould not immediately verify the report.
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said the United States was ready to proceed with further attacks on Tehran if Iran did not agree to a peace deal,. suggested Washington could wait a few days to "get the right answers."
Tehran reviewing US response to its latest proposal: FM spokesperson
Iran’sNour News Agencyreported on Thursday that Washington. Tehran exchanged messages through Pakistan over the wording of a proposed ceasefire document, according toAl Jazeera.
“Based on the original text of Iran’s 14 points. the exchange of messages has been carried out on several occasions,” Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said, according toNour.
“We have received the views of the American side and are reviewing them,” Baghaei said.
Baghaei made the remarks during Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi's visit to Iran.
Pakistan is helping to mediate talks between Washington and Tehran.
Iran executes two people under security charges
Iran executed two people for what it said were charges of creating a group to disrupt the country's security. having membership in a "terrorist" organisation, the country'sTasnimnews agency reported on Thursday.
Tasnimidentified the two as Ramin Zaleh and Karim Maroufpour.
Trump official warns Iran of unprecedented military action over deal holdout
White House Deputy Chief of Staff Stephen Miller issued a warning to the Iranian leadership regarding the ongoing standoff as negotiations have failed to progress.
Speaking toFox News, Miller said that the current administration in Tehran faces a critical ultimatum from the US.
“This new team in Iran has a choice to make,” Miller said.
“They can either agree to a piece of paper that is satisfactory to the United States. or they can face a punishment from our military, the likes of which has not been seen in modern history. That’s the choice that they face,” he said.
Iran says US failed to reopen Strait of Hormuz despite ‘tricks’
Iran said on Wednesday that the United States failed to reopen the Strait of Hormuz. despite what it described as repeated “tricks,” while an Iranian military source said Tehran possesses advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.
According to remarks carried by Iran’s semi-official news agencyISNA, the political deputy of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy said the strait had been closed under orders from IRGC Navy Commander Alireza Tangsiri. claimed that Washington had failed to reverse the situation.
Read:Trump says US will give Iran talks 'one shot', is in no hurry
“The Americans, despite a thousand tricks and acts of deception, could not reopen it,” he said.
He added that all Iranian armed forces remained “with fingers on the trigger”. ready to respond to any future attack.
Separately, an Iranian military source said the country had developed advanced weapons that have not yet been used in war.
In remarks to the Russian state news agency RIA Novosti, the source said Iran faced no shortage in military or defensive capabilities. warned that it would not show restraint in any future confrontation.
Earlier Wednesday. Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced a new oversight zone in the Strait of Hormuz requiring vessels transiting designated areas to coordinate with Iranian authorities.
Read more:Tehran moves to tighten Hormuz chokehold
The authority said the measure covered maritime routes between Iran. the United Arab Emirates at both eastern and western entrances to the strategic waterway.
Regional tensions have escalated since the US and Israel launched strikes against Iran in February. Tehran retaliated with strikes targeting Israel as well as US allies in the Gulf. along with the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.
A ceasefire took effect on April 8 through Pakistani mediation, but talks in Islamabad failed to secure a lasting agreement. US President Donald Trump later extended the truce indefinitely while maintaining a blockade on vessels travelling to or from Iranian ports through the strategic waterway.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see ourComments FAQ
Discussion
Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.