Native World News

Claims Hearts players assaulted 'not proven' - O'Neill

Claims Hearts players assaulted 'not proven' - O'Neill

Hearts' Lawrence Shankland with stewards at full time after Celtic beat Hearts to win the Scottish Premiership title

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill says allegations Hearts players were assaulted amid Saturday's pitch invasion "has not been proved".

Shareholder Tony Bloom claimed on Wednesday. Hearts players were assaulted by Celtic fans as they ran on the pitch to celebrate clinching the Scottish Premiership title.

Police Scotland are investigating whether there was any criminality involved, and O'Neill says if proof emerges then "apologies are due".

"We have gone back in the pictures. there's no sign of that at this minute," the interim Celtic manager told BBC Scotland.

"If he [Bloom] has seen that there or the police have seen that, then certainly apologies are due. that is not being seen at his minute."

Hearts previously criticised what they called "highly irresponsible" comments from O'Neill, when the Northern Irishmandismissed claimsthe incident embarrassed Scottish football.

Hearts players were confronted by some fans after Callum Osmand scored to make it 3-1 in the 98th minute.

Celtic apologised to their opponents earlier this week after they were forced to make a quick exit from the stadium while still in their kit.

"We are aware of highly irresponsible comments made publicly this week, which appear to seek to defend those who entered the pitch on Saturday. undermine the gravity of the situation,"Hearts said in a statement on Wednesday.,external

"Those remarks carry dangerous implications,. we call upon the football authorities to ensure that this matter is addressed with the seriousness it demands, and with the full cooperation of all involved."

O'Neill rejects 'nonsense' criticism of pitch invasion

Pitch invasions 'a bad look' - but Clarke praises Tartan Army

Bloom claimed Hearts players were put in harm's way amid the chaotic scenes.

"The final whistle hadn't gone, so no supporters should have been on the pitch," Bloom told talkSPORT.

"The Hearts players were in danger and one or two got assaulted. It is completely unacceptable behaviour and the authorities will be looking at it. I don't want to say any more about that."

The SPFL said on Sunday referee Don Robertson had ended the game after Celtic's third goal. despite the clock showing at least 40 seconds of the allocated stoppage time was still left to play.

But Hearts added they have written to the SPFL. Scottish FA to set out their observations and also "expressing our concern that a troubling precedent has been set whereby a pitch invasion can effectively determine the duration of a match".

Hearts led the Premiership from September. fell just short of a first league title since 1960 when Celtic took victory in the closing stages of the final game.

Bloom only invested in Hearts a year ago. his data analystics company helped build a squad which went close to ending 40 years of Old Firm dominance.

When the Brighton owner got involved in Hearts he said it was a long-term project to win the league. has vowed the club will return stronger next term.

"For anyone involved in Hearts it is a devastating weekend," Bloom said. "The last 10 days of the season, so much happened.

"However we must look forward - what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. The Hearts fans are absolutely fantastic.

"We will be back next season with a bang. We want to be competing to win the league every single season we possibly can."

Visit our Hearts page for all the latest news, analysis and fan views

Get Hearts news notifications in the BBC Sport app

Source: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/c4gv02e4p5jo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Discussion

Sign in to join the thread, react, and share images.